Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Golden Handcuffs

Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand. Proverbs 19: 21

I have worked for the same company for 22 years.  I really just cannot stand the way that sounds.  It makes me sound archaic, stagnant.  In undergrad school, students are taught that they will change jobs or companies every 3 years.  The will change careers 2 to 3 times before they retire.  I feel so “old school”.  Believe me, I have TRIED to leave this company, and actually did.  Twice.  I used to have such an issue with the fact that I could not completely cut ties.  My husband called it the “golden handcuffs”, I called it pure torture.  Such a love/hate relationship.  I spent soooo many days and nights praying that God would place another opportunity right into my lap.  I had big dreams for working with a creative and progressive company where I could really strut my stuff.  Spread my wings and fly!  I applied for job after job, contacted a couple of search firms – all of whom thought I had a “lot to offer” yet nothing seemed to happen.  I got a few interviews here and there but nothing materialized.  At the time, I thought it was because no one wanted a one-company gal.  Who could possibly want someone who is only one-dimensional?  UGH.  I was destined to retire from this company.  My death sentence had been served. 
Now mind you, during this time it wasn’t like I was ball and chain to the desk and fed bread and water every 2 to 3 hours.  I was doing some cool stuff.  I wrote and facilitated leadership programs, piloted programs that were considered visionary.  I got to travel, yet work close to home when I needed to.  All the bennies with a nice salary too.  I wasn’t sitting back fat and happy, I was working hard yet I could see the impact I was making and how influencial the work I was doing was to the organization and more importantly, to people directly.  Can you see where I’m going here?
Clearly God was trying to tell me something that I couldn’t get through my thick brain…my purpose is here.  At this Company.  He’s telling me that the Corporate World is my mission ground and my role is to develop leaders that reflect integrity, humility and grace of the only one true leader.    Hello??  This Somerworth gal is THICK!  He was telling me this the entire time.  He has been carving the path for me in this company to have the forum to influence leaders and managers at all levels.  Once I realized this, I began to see examples all of the place.  Opportunities to demonstrate what genuinity looks like, and to call people out when ego’s get in the way or simply to offer myself as a sounding board.  A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to present to the Business Unit President and his executive team on a process to identify managers who demonstrate the potential to take on more significant roles.  We talked about really spending time getting to know our managers, what their aspirations are and how to help them succeed.  How cool is that?! 
So for others like me who may be looking around and seeing only the “handcuffs” and ignoring the fact that they are “golden”, take the time to notice and see the opportunity in your current circumstances.  What is God trying to tell you?  What are you not able to see because you’re too frustrated with your burdens?  Take the time to look.  Truly, once you shift your perspective, the view is amazing!
Dear Heavenly Father ~ May I never again take for granted this opportunity you have given me.  I am so thankful that I finally was able to see what you have been trying to tell me for so long!  I love the fact that this is my purpose and I now truly see how I can use my gifts to fulfill YOUR purpose.  May I never get lost in the hub bub of corporate life, may I stay humble, and inspire others to do the same.  In Jesus’ Name ~ Amen

Xoxo ~ Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment