Friday, June 29, 2012

Summer School

 "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."~ Philippians 4:8




Sighhhhhh.

It feels as though it has been a long recovery process. My life has become scheduled around the next medication dose and how far from the sofa I am able to walk. All of this lying down has given me alot of time. Time to nap, watch movies, read, play on FaceBook, text and ALOT of time to think. "Think and wonder, wonder and think" as Dr Seuss so aptly phrased.

As I sit here, 8 days after surgery I realize there are many lessons learned throughout this experience.My own little Summer School has been in session. The lessons I have learned apply to recovering from surgery but also, can carry us through life, through crisis, through anything.


My lessons?

*You're stronger than you think. You can look fear in the face and conqueror things you never dreamed possible. 

*Life will throw obstacles in your path. Its a given. The obstacle it self isn't important. How you respond to it is.

*Deal with issues promptly. Whether medically, relationally, personally, professionally or spiritually, don't allow situations to fester.....in the end its harder that way

*If a situation is infected. clean it out. Dig deep, find healing. Do whatever it takes to get yourself well. "Do your best and trust God with the rest."

*Its vitally important to take care of yourself. If you don't,  there WILL come a time when you are of no use to those around you. It is not selfish to take care of yourself, its called HEALTHY.

*Pushing yourself beyond your limitations will eventually lead to a problem, a meltdown, a set back.

*Be gentle with yourself. Give yourself time, to rest, to heal, to learn.

*When you allow them, people will  show up....sometimes in big ways, sometimes in small ways. But in order for them to show up you have to say yes. Yes, is a risk. Be willing to take risks.

*Usually, the people who show up aren't the ones you expected to.

*Be heartfeltfully grateful for those people. There's a reason they are part of your world.

*Don't waste time fussing over the ones who don't show up. Accept it for what it is and let it go. Truthfully, it is that simple.

*Learn to say no. Sometimes saying no is  the best thing you can do for yourself.

*Often when you do say no, it gives other the freedom to do the same. Freedom in relationship is essential.

*The little things aren't important. When you really get down to it, we spend our time on details that don't matter. The dog hair, the dust, whether the laundry is done, the dishwasher is unloaded, or the car is washed..... really in the big picture,  it does not matter.

*Little things are important. The smell of fresh brewed coffee, the warmth of sunshine on your skin, the sound of a cardinal calling for her mate. Tiny details we miss in the haste of our lives can sometimes be the most fulfilling.

*People matter. A loving touch, a quick phone call, a long hug, make a difference in someone's day. Is there someone you should reach out to? More importantly, is there someone I should reach out to?

I've spent alot of time alone these past 8 days. My family and friends have done a fantastic job of checking in, loving me, and   taking care of me. There has been alot of self reflection and discovery. Its actually been a really good thing.  I've come to realize that I am becoming more OK with me than ever before.

I can see some changes I need to make, some attitude adjustments, some relationship adjustments, and some  re-adjustments to priorities. I'm excited to watch it all unfold :) Excited to but the lesson into life application.

Father God, thank you for your healing touch and the many lessons you teach us each day.  We all have choices to make. Often those choices affect the course of our lives. Help me to make right choices in the thoughts I think, the things I say, and the life I live. The life you died for me to have. In your name I pray, Amen

Hugs and Happy Weekend!

Michelle <3

No comments:

Post a Comment